Sappi’s job vacancy, Career and Recruitment
Job title : Forestry Manager Khulisa – Kwambo jobs in KwaZulu-Natal
Job Location : KwaZulu-Natal,
Deadline : August 18, 2022
Quick Recommended Links
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Assess & review the re-establishment program (planting & coppice regeneration), monitor the placement of the plant order with Nurseries, ensure the annual plan of operations (planting; weeding and fire protection) is aligned to budget and implemented; ensure the Temporary Unplanted ñTUPî targets are achieved within budget constraints to ensure sustainable wood fibre supply and profits to stakeholders.
- Evaluate quality maintenance of all activities by conducting monthly infield audits (assess stocks planted and harvested; weed maintenance and fire preparations) on a minimum 10% of the months to maintain silvicultural standards; minimise risk and loss through timeous intervention.
- Ensure that all suppliers are informed of forecasted FDI and resources are readily available to immediately respond in the event of a fire to minimise costs and loss
- Facilitate the development of cordial relationships between suppliers; their neighbours and the local business community through local farmer associations and Fire Protection associations membership to ensure collaboration and cooperation between stakeholders and improve response disastrous events.
- Encourage suppliers to invest in equipment that is owned by farming community cooperation through farmers association or FPA to improve access and availability and profits to the growers.
- Ensure all operations comply with service level agreement by doing infield service audit checks to guarantee quality and delivery of value for money
- Ensure that all projects have the necessary required resources and capacity to achieve targets by determining scope of annual activities and recruit and or develop the required skills
- Ensure adherence to the chain of custody principles through spot audits on a proportionate percentage of supplied wood fibre volume for the month monitoring the source ñinfield auditsî and the supplied volume versus contractual volume to combat criminal activity
- Monitor loan recovery by prioritising wood fibre on the annual harvesting APO before spot timber and monitor infield stocks versus sales and TCS recovery reports reducing loss to the company
- Monitor infield versus depots stock level reports to ensure rateable wood fibre delivery to the Mill and achieve targets
- Conduct interim infield inspections to monitor and ensure adherence to safety and Mill quality specifications to proactively mitigate; save lives and ensure efficiencies
- Communicate with the Logistics office to optimise delivery against targets and attain customer satisfaction
- Monitor harvesting performance; scheduling of short-haul & loading operations to ensure grower service providers benefit from timeous interventions and achieve targets
- Ensure that relations with communities and other internal & external stakeholders are effectively maintained & managed to uphold the company image through proactive risk identification and mitigation, and enhanced relations through regularly planned engagements.
- Manage relationships with DAFF, DRDLR; DWAS; IDC; Traditional Councils and local municipalities by supporting interventions of common interests and extending invitations to stakeholder outreach programmes including grower days
- Ensure that a professional relationship with suppliers’ service providers is maintained by ensuring that quality, delivery and compliance standards as set out in the job instruction system and service level agreement are adhered to, concerns logged and actioned promptly, and incidents closed off formally to maintain company image.
- Facilitate rates negotiations between suppliers and service providers by ensuring that there is fair engagement and both parties are capacitated and helped to develop an appreciation of business principles
- Develop a supplier development programme with set delivery targets and timelines by working closely with the uLwazi team and the ESD programme to ensure sustainable wood fibre supply and prosperity for the suppliers
- Ensure technical knowledge transfer to the suppliers by encouraging maximised supplier involvement in their business operations through regular infield engagements and planning discussions ñcover APO and budgetsî at the end of seasons as well as grower field days
- Expand growing tons by identifying new areas with tree growth potential and recruit growers into the unit; determine suitable supplier contracts to increase sustainable wood fibre supply to own markets
- Ensure compliance to legislative and company policies & procedures by holding others to account and training where necessary to ensure fair trade and prosperity
- Analyse TCS reports and ensure that timber supply is aligned to contractual volumes and all suppliers have updated contracts in place.
- Audit TCS adherence, eCams and Forcelink by drawing system reports and analysing in order to ensure legal compliance
- Improve supplier loyalty by keeping them abreast of their deliveries, share monthly reports or statements; respond timeously to concerns and share the latest industry developments to enhance growth and empowerment
- Ensure that company assets such as buildings; vehicles are maintained & managed effectively according to set standards (hygiene & legal compliance) and regulations and within budget constraints to curb penalties and loss
- Ensure compliance to all legislation regulating the work environment including SHEQ policies, Sappi procedures, best-operating practices and work instructions by suppliers through Stop and Think Before You Act (STBA)
- Educate suppliers on markets’ requirements and monitor adherence to standards, policies and procedures to ensure mutual benefit
- Work closely with safety and risk managers to monitor and manage risks and accidents to save lives and reduce loss
- Mentor and coach subordinates to manage performance and attain objectives; support; guide and inform understanding and execution to develop confidence and knowledge
- Develop future business leaders by identifying potential; awarding through facilitated realistic career paths choices premised on the Personal Development Plans to support organization’s succession plans.
- Hold subordinates to account by reinforcing adherence to regulations and procedures to drive discipline and professionalism in the workplace and live company values
- Prepare and present an annual budget for the district based on APO; TUP; Spot timber supply contracts; travelling plans and other related engagements to ensure sustainable wood fibre supply and achievement of annual targets.
- Prepare Forecasts & monitor monthly operational activities, manage costs; analyse TCS and SAP reports together with market performance data from the Logistics department to align performance to market demand and achieve targets.
- Ensure projects remain financially viable; suppliers enjoy maximum skills benefits and deliver according to business plans through regular engagements with the suppliers to enable effective skills transfer and economic growth
- Facilitate water licence applications through direct engagements with DWAS; DEFF and EDTEA, get all necessary documentation available to ensure speedy resolutions to achieve annual planting targets
- Ensure that the following month’s sales plan is compiled, confirmed and submitted to the Forestry Manager (FM) to ensure timeous communication with the Logistics manager
- Ensure weekly infield and depot stocks are communicated to the harvesting FM to ensure alignment of timber supply to market demand
- Prepare monthly progress reports to monitor all technical, financial and administrative resources made available to your unit to ensure seamless reporting requirements for senior management and suppliers are met.
- Report monthly on the district’s performance, ensure monthly performance is captured correctly in the reports and costs analysed to enhance costs efficiencies in the organisation
The ideal candidate should have:
- National Diploma in Forestry or related qualification
- A Logistics and/or Transport Management qualification will be advantageous.
- At least 8 years of experience in timber procurement and/or forestry management.
Closing Date: 29th, July 2022
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply online